Friday, February 02, 2007

learning from books

ryan and i were having a discussion this morning about fiction v. non-fiction readings. i was figuring out (out loud) that i seem to get more out of a meaty fiction book rather than a non-fiction. actually, i loathe non-fiction. possibly b/c i don't like people telling me what to do. well, maybe i don't loathe non-fiction. i can get into a thomas merton or henri nouwen book. but to me they seem old and wise. they have lived lives close to God. maybe i have some sort of mistrust for "new" and "modern" thought when it comes to spirituality. i'd rather read brother lawrence than philip yancey.

anyways, all of this to say that i'm listening to "to kill a mockingbird" on cd. i might be learning more from the words of harper lee than i have from any other book in a long while. i want to parent like atticus finch. i want to respect all humans like atticus finch does. i want to cry at hatred like dill does in courtroom when tom robinson is getting questioned by gilman. like miss maudie when her house burns down, i want to be able to let go of things beyond my control and be open to what life brings next.

if i can only open my eyes to see the traits in those around me that i want to emulate, then maybe i could learn to appreciate the non-fiction as well as fiction.

3 comments:

Gwyn Samson said...

Well, you know where I stand on the whole fiction thing!

Gwyn Samson said...

Okay, I'm logged into G's account. That was from lisa.

TommyMac said...

You're so right, Jodester. Mrs. Farzad and I had this discussion last December--how a good book will change the way you think, act, and live. Which is why my next book will be the case summary for the Anna Nicole Smith hearing. Yeah, speaking of fiction works...