Wednesday, April 12, 2006

flighty humans

on my bike ride home today i was realizing that there are only a few people that i trust to do things well and on time. my time, that is. i don't know many people who want to stay in one place and put roots down. i'm sure it's obvious that we are a people of change. we have a hard time being happy where we are. it often seems better elsewhere. could it be better somewhere else? would i be happier living in oregon near the rogue river? what would i do there? how would i make money? who would my friends be? do ryan and i want to have kids so far away from our parents? would one river actually make me happier?

then there's the question of happiness. we can't always be happy.

i'm not sure what to do yet about becoming a person who lives in the day and works with the circumstances. maybe i'll try to be a woman of my word. maybe i'll try to be upfront with people. maybe i'll make friends, cultivate friendships, and say goodbye graciously when my friends leave and i get to stay.

i guess i'm just trying to prepare myself to say goodbye to friends that may be leaving. it's takes me awhile so i'm going to start now. right now i don't know anyone who's actually leaving. there's only talk. and i'm going to work on being okay with staying. with making a life here in kentucky. maybe i'll appreciate oregon more as a vacation spot.

1 comment:

james said...

As one who's lived in four states and two countries, and a variety of cities and towns in each, I've found every place is is the same. People are generally the same. You end up doing the same things: i.e. watching TV/movies, reading, walks, etc. So it is that trick you speak of; finding peace and contentment in the present. This is a big struggle for me. The grass is always greener and gratification can never be delayed. Good luck, Jodie. Let me know if you figure it out, or maybe tring to figure it out is getting it figured out??
james